6/28/11

Baked Potato Soup

 Cookbook page 66

(30 min. prep time,  4-8 hours cooking time IF made in a slow cooker)


This is the best potato soup I have ever had.  And I've tried many.  Make it!  You will not regret it!   I confess, I often make it on my stove-top instead of in the crock-pot.  Sometimes at 4pm I’m in my kitchen trying to think of something for supper.  I don’t have 4-8 hours but, if done on the stove-top, I can have this on the table in 1½ hours or sooner.
I combine the first 6 ingredients as instructed, put them in a medium sized pot, and cook until the potatoes are fork tender.  Then I put the half and half in a blender with 1/3 of the soup and give it a whirl.  This makes a creamy base for the soup but leaves the rest chunky.  (We like it somewhat chunky but you may prefer it all smooth.  Just put as much through the blender as you want).  Then, I pour it all back in the pot and add the cheddar and chives.  Heat through and serve with a dollop of sour cream and bacon bits.
 
I started out using fresh chives but couldn’t figure out how to keep them from getting slimy after about a day so now I use freeze-dried.  I keep a bag of Real Bacon Bits in my freezer so I am ready to make this at a moment’s notice.



What you will need:

6 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes (about 3 ¾ pounds)
1 large onion, chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
3 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth with roasted garlic
¼ cup butter
2 ½ teaspoons salt
1 ¼ teaspoons freshly ground pepper
1 cup whipping cream or half-and-half
1 cup (4 ounces) sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1 (8-ounce) container sour cream (optional)
4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
Shredded Cheddar cheese

What to do:

  • Combine first 6 ingredients in a 5-quart slow cooker.
  • Cover and cook on HIGH 4 hours or on LOW 8 hours or until potato is tender.
  • Mash mixture until potatoes are coarsely chopped and soup is slightly thickened; stir in cream, cheese, and chives.  Top with sour cream, if desired, and sprinkle with bacon and Cheddar cheese before serving.  Makes 12 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment