6/26/11

Creamy Beef and Spinach over Noodles

Cookbook page105
20 min prep,  cooking time: 4 hours
I really like Beef Stroganoff so this was a hit with me.  I like to call it a "glorified beef stroganoff" because of the mushrooms and spinach and pepper jack.  I did not use low-sodium, fat-free broth; I used the regular variety.  I did not have any sour cream on hand so I used plain yogurt. It was very good.  A warning, though.  It has a lot of mushrooms.  If you're not that into them, use fewer.


What you will need:
1 pound ground chuck
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 (14-ounce) can low-sodium, fat-free beef broth
1 (10 ¾ -ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 (8-ounce) block Monterey Jack Cheese with peppers, shredded
Hot cooked egg noodles

 What to do:
  • Cook first 3 ingredients in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain.
  • Drain spinach well, pressing between paper towels. Combine beef mixture, spinach, broth, and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Spoon into a lightly greased 4-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 4 hours. Serve over egg noodles. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment